|Edenderry Community Development Association|
|A Community Association based in Portadown|
Edenderry’s Magnificent Arch
One of the most historic structures in Edenderry is the magnificent arch which is erected every year as part of the 12th of July celebrations.
Unfortunately, the committee had to take the unenviable decision not to erect the arch in 2007 for health and safety reasons. An arch has been erected in the Edenderry area for more than 100 years. The first arch was erected around the early 1900's and this was remodelled in 1907. In 1920,a third arch was constructed and erected by Bob Adair, Joe Pearson, Peter Kane, George Ramsey and Joe Robinson.
Between the two world wars, Harry Kane served as Chairman of Edenderry Arch Committee. After the second world war it was decided to erect a new arch in memory of Signalman Harry Kane who had been lost at sea during World War Two. The arch was designed and constructed in Portadown Foundry by voluntary labour. The arch comprised 1,372 separate pieces held together by 5,000 welds and 2,000 bolts.
On 11 July 1951 Mrs Sarah Kane,Harry's widow, unvieled the new Edenderry Arch. The arch has been erected every year since 1951. Chairmen of the arch committee since then have included Samuel Roney, Adrian Branyan, Ronald Roney and Eric Treanor who is the current chairman.
In 2004 the arch underwent a major refurbishment scheme costing £4,000 which utilised modern computer design and the latest plastic cladding materials. The whole structure was striped down to the original steel and sand blasted to remove 50 years of paint, rust and dirt. A dedicated team of volunteers, including women and children, spent most of June 2004 repainting and cladding the arch ready for its erection in time for the 1st of July celebrations.
Our New Arch has cost in the region of £25,000 and this ammount plus expenses has already been donated by the residents and past residents of the Greater Edenderry area and the wider general public. As yet NO fund raising events have taken place and we have been overwhelmed by the response of the general public to our Arch Appeal Fund. An important milestone was reached on St. Patrick’s Day 2008,with the installation of the new foundations and bases so that the arch would be ready for July of that year.
The Arch committee distributed 5000 envelopes in the greater Edenderry area and the committee, ably assisted by members of LOL 322 and RBP 80 organised the collection which brought in the staggering total of £6,000. The committee would like to take this opportunity to thank all those who have already contributed. We have to date, received generous support from local businesses, residents and the wider community from as far afield as Malaysia and Canada.
The official opening and dedication took place on 14th June 2008 and was marked by a community festival and a fireworks display to remember.
The opening ceremony was attended by Lord Trimble, Mr David Simpson MP, MLA, the Mayor of Craigavon Mr Sidney Anderson, Masters of Portadown Orange and Black Districts and representatives of Women's District. The Rev Kenneth Elliott and the Rev Stafford Carson performed the act of dedication. The arch is dedicated "To the Glory of God and in memory of all those who have laid down their lives for our country throughout history."
The main span of the new arch is constructed from non corrosive lightweight aluminium, the crown and the ships are from the old arch have been reused and all the graphics have been computer generated. The arch can be lifted into place by 2 men using pulley blocks in as little as 30 minutes.
Anyone still wishing to contribute to the new arch fund should make cheques payable to Edenderry Arch Committee
c/o Hon' Treasurer Trevor Bonis
39, Kernan Grove
Mobile number 07733 128 059
Certificates for all monies will be issued by Edenderry Arch Committee.
Go to Articles Section to view Contribution Pledge form.
Last 5 Additions
|Total Hits: 697793||© 2005 Edenderry Community Development Association||Current Users: 7|